Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Creativity Strikes

Men, in India, have to be a creative lot. I fail to understand If it's nature or nurture that arouses this genius creativity bug in them.

I believe I am not the only one to notice this talent. If we were to conduct a survey among the women, 99.999% of them will give a nod to my observation. You may have noticed it too. On the streets, in the autos, in buses, Office space, in the movies (where its dark!). Are you confused? Am I making no sense altogether? What is it that I am referring to exactly?

Well if its a woman reading this she may have experienced this when her pallu falls of her shoulders, the dupatta gives into gravity, the kurta takes wings with the wind baring those tight churidars underneath, when you reach up for the file on the top shelf and oops! you expose a part of your anatomy - your waist (everyone has one). I see the darkness lift and I making more sense now. The best one comes on the days when you are feeling fat and you decide to wear that lose sweater and you bend to pick up whatever it that you dropped and there it is! Jackpot for the 'stronger sex' and the imagination soars!!!


A lot of us, take these lightly because we believe we are the luckier lot. We have not been abused, we have not been beaten, we have not been raped, we have not been killed. We believe we have saved ourselves all these years because we ignored the glances, the touch, the stare. Mothers and Aunts have taught us for decades that you turn a blind eye and the world will be just fine. Dare you hurl back an abuse, dare you stare back, dare you raise your head and look them in the eye.

What If I don't want to be stared at, what If I want to walk freely, what If I don't want to carry that pepper spray in my bag, what If I tell you that culture is not about the length of my skirt but how my society treats me in public, will you laugh at my naivety?

The one thing that has always made me think - what is the solution, if there is one! Its no surprise that the issue permaetse all boundaries- Religion, Caste, Region, Rich, Poor. Barriers are withdrawn and everyone unites in the 'cause' So obviously, the problem is big and strong. Ray of hope is feeble. It has to start with us, our family, our friends. Take the step, make the effort, bring the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment