Monday, June 17, 2013

Lost

A young starlet recently decided that life was too painful a journey. So she took the 'easier' way out. Thousands take their lives every year, leaving their near - dear ones lost and completely hopeless. But was this girl special? I don't think so, but being a celebrity comes with a price tag. Every news writer, reporter, blogger believes they have the birth right to comment on them. Death isn't gruesome enough, infact allows for a scope for more masala. Well, I don't stand in a position to judge because I am sort of guilty too. Sort of , because I intend to discuss the 'problem' and not 'her problem'.

'Suicide'may be a grim affair but the term is thrown around unabashedly. I have been reading and keep coming across words like 'coward', 'loser', 'ungrateful'. What we forget is people who do take the extreme steps, are, in that small window, from 'deciding a happy life isn't for them to actually hurting themselves' are hardly themselves anymore. Most of them are depressed and need support. Maybe they are too proud to ask for a shoulder to rest their heavy heart on, or they just don't have someone. Something as simple as 'I miss my family as I am extremely lonely' to 'my sweetheart doesn't want me anymore' can be a very strong trigger. Calling this an act of cowardice - isn't doing justice to the situation. Not all of us are born equal. If this can be true for our social standing, physical features, then why not our mental strength. Maybe some of us need more love and support at times.

I read this today morning. A blogger was comparing a street beggar's will to live with that of the deceased starlet. I was disturbed at the thought. When we suffer, it is but human to think that your pain and hurt is at the very pinnacle and nothing can be worse. Preaching how many farmers take their lives over failed crops that year has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

I don't have a solution to the problem. But I believe, letting your guards down in times of need and asking for support, will keep you from shoving yourself into eternal darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment