Monday, May 6, 2013

Stuck

A few days back, 3 to be precise, was a not so very nice day for me. I had a dinner to attend with my family. As it was in the honour of my dad, it was expected of me to go. I unfortunately, couldn't convince my mother about an overtime option at work. I cursed myself later on way to the 'party' on being such a whopping success as a fool! 5 years of hostel plus an additional 2 years of on my own hadn't taught me anything. One one hand I had mastered the art of not making my bed for 2 weeks in a row and using the chairs in my room as part-time wardrobe, and on the other I still couldn't make up stories with conviction.

Anyway, I ended up going. I knew it was going to be boring bad, but I wasn't prepared for a kick on my back. I don't know which was worse--being stuck with kids of 13 who were discussing Barney Stinson or aunties who talked of 5 ways to prepare Morabba in accented Hindi! Now I am a big fan of pickles,etc, so I ignored the terribly put-on accent and focused on how are they made (seriously!) But then one of them suddenly commented on how Bangalore houses are way more expensive than Mumbai's. I realized I didn't trust her anymore-- even if it's just achaar making.

The entire atmosphere was disturbing. Everyone seemed to enjoy, including my family. I felt betrayed.
 I thought I will make the best of the evening and turned my attention towards Food, when one of the cheeky 13 year old made her grand entry and wished all the 15 aunties in row and didn't stop/break at me. I had to be content with salad and just 1 puri after that. I had already made a secret prayer to the god inside me -- God! one day this stupid girl will turn my age and then, we will see!
Malevolence does not come naturally to me, but I felt cornered.

The day wasn't over yet. There were two new entrants, the aspiring model (think Deepika Padukone at 5'5) sisters. One hot woman is usually enough to ruffle up a chubby girl next door's pretty feathers, and here I was dealing with two. One of them decided to open her prettily glossed lips and grace us with some pearls of wisdom. I heard her telling a big chic, allegedly her friend, not to worry about her weight issues,,"You see! its your body structure" (Besides the smirk, the horns were almost visible) I convinced my poor heart that they aren't pretty and its just the scrawniness.

My heart  had very little space left to take any more blows. As If on cue, dad came to the rescue! Party was over and I could go home and crawl up in  bed and my oversized shirt and feel safe in my own little world

No comments:

Post a Comment