Friday, January 27, 2012

The Joy of Movies

Today I feel apprehensive about writing. The reasons are two
1. I had to think more than 2m33s to decide the subject and basically what I want to throw at the world today.
2. The subject is such.

I have liked watching movies since I was a kid. I don't claim to be ms know all critic. In fact I have seen very little compared to many. I generally prefer to stick to mindless entertainment(I am thinking of Govinda and not Akshay Kumar). Though I usually shy away from accepting so in public but near and dear ones know of my dirty secret. It is not that "serious-cinema" is not good enough for me but the fact of matter is that its 'serious' and too close to the real life. Why would I want to see Imran Khan run around in locals, sipping on chai and making omlettes, yes I want to see him romancing the the ladies on the streets of greece, beat down 20 bad men at a time and dance like Prabhudeva! Is that asking for so much? I think not.
But If anyone out there is listening, I have found a new genre for myself. I am into the 60' 70' and 80's Satyjit Ray mode currently. Most of the movies are in Bengali but the sheer simplicity just bowls me over. I never thought I would absolutely love to watch people do "normal everyday" stuff on-screen. I may have a hidden deep down desire to watch "serious" movies but the artsy intellectual display(say Dhobi Ghat) right in the end just kills the entire simplicity. Hence, the aversion I guess. Everyday I discover a new movie I realize there are so many more out there to watch and the fact that for every one good movie there are 20 bad ones just makes the number go boom boom boom. The solution? Keep Watchin! Keep Conquering! Yeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment